Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I earn a small commission for my referral at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Flour Arrangements.
Savory Corn Pancakes with Lime-Cilantro Sour Cream
Inspired by Chez Panisse Vegetables
- Corn Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2-3 ears)
- 1 large leek white part only, finely chopped
- 1 large lime zested
- 2 large eggs separated
- 1 large egg white
- Lime-Cilantro Sour Cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- hot sauce (such as Tabasco) to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the pancakes, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, coriander, and chili powder in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from heat and add buttermilk and honey, stirring until honey is dissolved. Mix in the two egg yolks, corn, leek, and lime zest. Combine wet and dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat the three egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites gently into the corn batter.
- Using a 1/4 cup measure, transfer scoops of the thick batter to a lightly buttered skillet or griddle. Flatten them slightly for more even cooking. Let the pancakes cook until bubbles start to pop on their top surfaces and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip with a spatula and cook until lightly browned on the reverse side.
- Combine ingredients for the Lime-Cilantro Sauce in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Serve pancakes warm drizzled with Lime-Cilantro Sauce. Garnish as desired with chopped bacon, smoked salmon, or other savory topping.