Deep, dark chocolate and refreshing minty goodness come together in these dense and rich Mint Chocolate Brownies.
Eliza fell in love with some ultra precious rainbow heart sugar cookies this week and decided she needed to make them. It’s totally my fault. When I showed her the video that’s been making the rounds, I did so in the spirit of “Wow, look how crazy insane these cookies are.” It never occurred to me that Eliza would decide they were just what she needed to make for Valentine’s Day this year.
Eliza and I have clearly traded places; I used to be the one who thought nothing about spending days working on a special baking project, while Eliza was like, “Hey, can I make some cookie dough and eat it?” Now I’m the one who want to simplify, and Eliza is willing to spend all weekend testing a recipe so she gets it right for her friends on Valentine’s Day.
Eliza may have turned my kitchen into rainbow heart central, but I managed to sneak in and make brownies while her multi-colored dough layers chilled. I baked the easy yet very delicious Mint Chocolate Brownie recipe that was Eliza’s go-t0 dessert recipe back in simpler times.
These brownies bring together deep, dark chocolate and refreshing minty goodness. The pretty white frosting topped with a drizzle of chocolate glaze dresses these dense, rich bars up and gives them extra minty flavor at the same time. They’re a perfect treat for any occasion, unless, of course, that occasion calls for for adorable rainbow hearts that someone else feels like making.
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1½ teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Generously butter a 9-inch square metal baking pan. Add a layer of parchment paper, leaving the edges long enough to lift the brownies out of the pan for easier slicing. Butter the parchment paper, pressing it down to help it adhere smoothly to the pan. Set aside.
- To prepare the brownies, melt chocolate and butter together in a double boiler or in short bursts in the microwave. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, salt, and eggs. Add chocolate mixture, mint extract, and chocolate chips, whisking until well combined. Gently stir in flour, taking care not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- To prepare the frosting, combine confectioners' sugar, melted butter, milk, and mint extract in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk until smooth. Spread the frosting evenly over the cooled brownies.
- For the glaze, melt chocolate and butter together in a double boiler or in the microwave. Mix well to combine. Drizzle glaze over the frosted brownies. If the glaze is too thick to drizzle, gently reheat.
- Refrigerate to set the glaze. Lift the brownies from pan using the parchment paper and slice into 1½-inch squares. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
PIN IT FOR LATER
You might also like