Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase, I earn a small commission for my referral at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Flour Arrangements.
Simple Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting
Makes 12 cupcakes. This recipe doubles easily.
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups chocolate chips
- Vanilla Buttercream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3-4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3-5 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease or paper-line a muffin pan with 12 cups.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl and stir to mix. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla in large bowl. Whisk until well mixed.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture in two or three additions, mixing with a wooden spoon or a spatula between additions, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups about halfway and bake until they spring back when lightly pressed with a finger, about 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting, combine butter, 3 cups powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons milk, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl. Using a wooden spoon or the paddle of an electric mixer, beat ingredients together until light and fluffy, adding more powdered sugar or milk as needed to achieve a smooth, creamy consistency that will hold up on your cupcakes. Pipe frosting on cooled cupcakes or spread it on generously with a thin, flexible spatula.